Friday, October 22, 2010

Today is a NEW day......

The dictionary describes fasting as the following:
verb
(used without object)
1. to abstain from all food.
2. to eat only sparingly or of certain kinds of food, esp. as a religious observance.
–verb (used with object)
3. to cause to abstain entirely from or limit food; put on a fast: to fast a patient for a day before surgery.
–noun
4. an abstinence from food, or a limiting of one's food, esp. when voluntary and as a religious observance; fasting.
5. a day or period of fasting.

On Sunday, I began a 21 day fast for medical, spiritual and personal reasons.

Over the past few months, depression as began to rear it's ugly head again, but this time I am taking control. I have begun to realize that in order to survive and win over this monster that is trying to control me, I must abstain from certain aspects of my life...thus the fast.

I really don't have a full understanding of it, but I am reading and learning more every day. What I do know is that in order to be successful in my journey, I must give up the negativity in my life and concentrate on the positives. I cannot do this with an unclean mind, spirit or body.

In the Bible, Daniel abstained from certain foods and drink which he thought was unclean. Read Daniel 1:8-14. I have read the verses and decided that the Daniel fast is the one for me. It has a meaning and a purpose that I can relate to.

Why me folks? Why do this now?? I had my last day of boot camp on Friday. Within 6 weeks of completing this 2nd bootcamp class, I lost a total of 6 ounces..lol... that's right 6 ounces. I am laughing with you. I realized that this session I wasn't focused, I wasn't determined. Why me folks? Because I just didn't care. There has been so much going on within the past two months, I basically wanted to just crawl into my bed and never leave. I have got to find a better way....thus fasting. I want to have a clearer mind to focus on my daily goals, I want to be energized about life again. I want to be joyous in going to work and being around my friends and family.

My challenge to you today is to step out on faith. Find something that you want to do, something that you have procrastinated about long enough, something that gives you joy, and take a 21 day fast on your journey to accomplish your goal. It doesn't have to be a fast of giving up food and drink, but give up something. Whether it be emailing, texting...which takes away from really connecting to friends and family; always on the go, which takes away from having a quiet moment to yourself; or just negative people or things, which take away from your sanity and a right to be happy!!!

What will your 21 day fast be???

Why me folks? Why not!!!

Smoochies

No comments:

Post a Comment